Sunday, November 7, 2010

Emergency Exit Diagram


Something that needed improvement was the emergency exit diagram located in my dorm room. The first thing I did was take a picture of it, and put it on my computer. Next, I made the diagram bigger, and printed out copies of it to work with. Since the diagram was the most important thing, I decided to focus on that before working on the layout of the instructions.


In my first draft, I color-coded the rooms, bathrooms, and hallways to see what colors would work. I also outlined the building in brown since that is my building’s color, and made notes, such as making the yellow rooms purple, using only four colors, and outlining every room’s border with the room’s color. I drew eyes with an arrow pointing to the stairs because it reminded me of a sign I saw once, and I thought that it would help people to see the stairs better. This looked funny so I ended up not using it.


I made the next draft’s diagram even bigger and used fewer, and primary colors to make it easier to read. I also experimented with three different ways of coloring in and outlining the diagram.

In my final draft, the building and everything inside of it is outlined in black. Certain borders/objects are also outlined in their room’s color. I also drew arrows pointing straight into the parking lot from the building instead of to the sides of the building. The titles and important parts of these directions (such as public safety’s number) are red so that they stand out. The wording is also bigger and moved so that it is easier to read.


This assignment was definitely interesting, because it made me realize that there are many diagrams that need improvement. While doing this assignment, I was hoping that I would make an easier diagram for students to follow. I’m happy that I chose this diagram, because it is very important to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment