Monday, November 1, 2010

How to Make Spaghetti...



While making this diagram, it was hard to show so many steps in a simple way. What I ended up doing was combining certain pictures with each other. For example, instead of putting the running water with a plus sign and a pot next to it, I put the two pictures together so that the running water was entering the pot!
Since making spaghetti involves two parts (making the pasta and the sauce), I decided to make two sections. The top part of this diagram involves making the pasta, and the second part focuses on making the sauce.
In the first section, I drew an arrow from the faucet and pot to where the pot should be on the stove. I then drew an arrow to a stove nob. The stove nob has a circle of arrows around it demonstrating how to turn the stove burner on. After that, I drew arrows from a box of spaghetti and a wooden spoon pointing to the boiling pot of water. This demonstrates that those are the two things that have to go into the pot. I also got a picture of a timer, and drew it an arrow on it that pointed to the number nine, explaining how long the pasta has to be in the pot. Next, I drew a similar timer that is pointing to the number zero, and looks like it's making noise and shaking. This means that when the timer goes off, the pasta is done, and has to be drained in the sink. Next to the shaking timer is an equal sign that leads to a small diagram with the pasta-filled pot next to a sink. In the sink is a pasta-filled drainer. When the spaghetti is done, you have to drain it in the sink.
The second part was a lot easier to draw, since it's not hard to cook sauce from a jar. All I did was draw an arrow from the sauce to a covered pot that is heating. I then drew an equals sign between this pot and another uncovered pot with heated sauce in it. After that, I drew an arrow from the uncovered sauce pot to a bowl with plain spaghetti, symbolizing that you have to pour the sauce onto the spaghetti. Finally, I drew another equals sign between the bowl filled with plain spaghetti and a similar bowl filled with spaghetti and sauce. The bowl of spaghetti and sauce is circled, showing that this is what spaghetti should look like once it's finished.

1 comment: